Thursday, February 19, 2009

By no means graceful, or perfect

Ok, so I just did a second water test. ( I did more than just float near the edge this time, promise) 

So I'm a little disappointed with how the skin performed. I have to go back and seal the seams again, the sealer I used didn't quite cut it. Also I've come to find out that it matters a lot how tight the skin fits you the frame. If its too loose and the water billows the fabric in and the boat sits very low in the water. Anyway, there is the video and I've uploaded a few more pics to the gallery. 

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

The Steadfast

Okay, So I went to Skills USA over the weekend, the regional competition, and my PakYak won the first place prize for the engineering challenge! I got a one year tuition paid scholarship to Vincennes University.
Also, thanks to a computerized embroidery machine at my school, I was able to name my boat as I was making the skin. It is now the Steadfast and has it's first water trial in the pool here at school. I wouldn't call it a maiden voyage though, considering that I didn't go anywhere or move away form the edge of the pool.
Thats the exiting part, but it took a lot to get there. I spent Friday, the day before the competition, finishing up some of the skin in a last mad scramble. But, thanks to a couple of late nights, I'm all but finished with my PakYak. I still need to seal the wood and spend a few minutes of detailing for the seat, but all and all its done. Who knows what the first real water trial will turn up though. Anyway,  I have a lot more pictures in my gallery and a video of me unfolding the boat. 

Sorry the video is a little blurry. In real time it takes me about 10 minutes to unfold the Steadfast.
Also there are some people in a few of the picture's I've uploaded that have given some sort of help to me throughout the process.